1. How long will I be at the facility for the procedure?
You will be at one of our convenient Orange County endoscopy centers for about 2-3 hours total.
2. Must I have a driver? Can't I just get a cab or wait a few hours after the procedure before I drive home?
Endoscopies are sedated procedures. You MUST have a licensed driver to take you home or the procedure will be cancelled. Only medical transportation services are acceptable.
3. Can I work the day after my procedure?
Yes. Dr. Rah will advise you after the procedure if there are any restrictions you must observe.
4. How should I expect to feel after the procedure?
Most people have very little discomfort after an endoscopic procedure. I you have a colonoscopy, the most common symptoms are gas, bloating, and mild cramping. If you have an upper endoscopy, you may experience a slight sore throat, mild chest tenderness, or a vague sensation of a "lump" in your throat. Though these do not usually occur, they are normal and can last for a few days after the procedure.
5. How long will it take for my biopsy results to come back?
It usually takes 3-5 business days for the biopsy results to come back.
6. What do I do if I think I have a problem after the procedure?
If you are experiencing a medical emergency please call 911. Otherwise, you can reach a nurse at the office at (949) 650.6700. If it is after hours, you can still call this number to reach the doctor on call.
7. What are clear liquids?
Clear liquids are any fluid that you can see through. These include tea, coffee, broth, bouillon, clear soup, plain jello ( no added fruit, nuts, vegetables, etc.), Gatorade, clear soda and clear fruit juice. Avoid all red and purple liquids since they can resemble blood in the colon. Please refer to "Clear Liquid Diet" instructions.
8. Where do I go for my procedure?
The location should be written on your preparation sheet and a map should be included in the packet of your paperwork you receive. Please be aware that we do procedures at multiple locations in Orange County including Newport Beach and Irvine, so if you have any questions, please contact us at (949) 650.6700.
9. What happens if I need to cancel or reschedule my procedure?
If you need to cancel or reschedule a procedure, you can do so by calling (949) 650.6700. You will need to call us at least 2 business days before your procedure to avoid being subject to a $150.00 fee.
10. Does my insurance cover the surgery center or hospital charge?
Please contact the surgery center or hospital where your procedure is scheduled and they will be happy to assist you with those questions.